Thursday, December 27, 2012

Bankruptcy Myths (Part 2)



Myth #5: If I File It Will Be Harder to Get or Keep a Job 

The good news is that there are strict rules in the Code that prevent this type of discrimination.  Just like it’s illegal not to hire someone based on race or religion it is also illegal to discriminate against someone in the hiring process based on a past Bankruptcy filing.  I deal with this issue and many similar issues in greater detail in the section of my book entitled “It’s Not as Bad as You Think.” 

Myth #6: You can’t Get Rid of Medical or Tax Debts?

In general most types of debt are dischargeable, meaning that you can get rid of them.  There are virtually no exceptions to this rule that result in preventing a person from discharging medical bills or medical debts.  Taxes are a bit trickier for sure but also can be discharged in the right circumstances.  This topic will be more fully dealt with in the section of my book entitled “What’s a Discharge and How does it Work?” 

Myth #7: I Should Max Out My Credit Cards Because When I File I Won’t Have to Pay Anyway 
Not so fast…This one is a big no-no.  Don’t do it, its fraud, its stealing and it just ain't right.  Seriously if you cards are maxed already ok we can deal with that, but don’t ever charge something or borrow some money with the intent not to pay it back.  It really wouldn’t be right but on top of that it’s criminal.  Not to mention the fact that you won’t get away with it anyway.  There are strict rules that prevent this type of behavior.  We will cover this and couple of other things you should avoid in the section of my book entitled “What can go Wrong and How to Avoid it.” 
For more information buy the book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment